In our recent podcast with Greek restaurateur Simon Gloftis, we discovered the reason he has his grandmother’s Avgolemono soup recipe tattooed on his arm, AND we persuaded him to share it with us. Avgolemono is a simple classic Greek soup – a comfort food favourite.
Ingredients – Serves 4
Prep Time – 30 minutes
2 litres chicken stock
165g long grain rice
100ml lemon juice
1 whole egg
50ml extra virgin olive oil
Table salt and white pepper to taste
1. Bring chicken stock to a boil and add Minos olive oil
2. Simmer and add rice. Cook for 20 minutes
3. Take pot off the heat and add lemon juice.
4. Season with salt and white pepper.
5. In separate bowl whisk one whole egg.
6. With a ladle, slowly add some stock to the egg, bring up to
the same temperature as the chicken stock. You must be
careful not to scramble.
7. Once the two mixtures are the same temperature, combine.
8. Check the seasoning and serve